Initial Consultation – Call Now

A Voice Of Reason During The Turmoil Of  Family Law Disputes

You Are Here:

California regulations for interstate child support

On Behalf of | Oct 24, 2014 | Child Support |

California child support laws offer multiple solutions to problems that all parents face, no matter which state they live in. When a child’s legal guardians or parents reside in different states, or one of them lives in another country, under the California child support laws, a child support case can be initiated at the child support agency where one parent resides. Then the agency will establish the child support order and seek assistance from the other state or country where the other parent is situated in.

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act is a law that enforces child support obligations when parties reside in different states or countries. It is required by federal law that states must cooperate with each other in order to enforce child support orders.

In the event that there is no preexisting child support order, the child support agency where the case has been opened collaborates with the other state in order to obtain an order or enforce the order when needed. In the event that a child support order exists already, the agency will only act with the other state to enforce it.

Where there is no child support order, the law requires that the local child support agency determines the state that can set the monetary amount for child support. If either party is dissatisfied with the child support amount, the case can be reviewed. The child support amount can be changed based on different factors, including the parents’ income and the amount of time either parent spends with the child. All of those factors are taken into consideration and it is important to remember that the best interests of the child are always at the top of the priority list and the parents should try to work toward a settlement that is agreeable to everyone involved.

Source:, “Child Support: When Parents Live in Different States,” accessed on Oct. 16, 2014


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network

Schedule A Consultation Today

Contact Us

John T. Chamberlin, Attorney at Law
//Long form disclaimer close on escape(contact)