John T. ChamberlinAttorney at Law
Initial Consultation - Call Now

May 2018 Archives

Actress and musician husband plan to divorce in California

Prominent people are commonplace in California, and they often have the same personal problems in their relationships as everyone else. These can result in the end of a marriage and the accompanying difficulties. While it might appear on the surface that people who have achieved notoriety in the entertainment industry or have accrued significant wealth will have fewer issues than regular workaday people, the reality is vastly different. People with significant assets can face various divorce legal issues that make the situation more complicated.

Legal help can be useful, even in an uncontested divorce

When a California couple decides that they are at the end of their marriage and they have essentially settled all their issues, they may pursue an uncontested divorce. This is a useful way to simply part ways and avoid the rancor, aggravation and excessive cost that accompanies many divorces. However, a common question that people will ask themselves is if they even need to have legal advice when there is an uncontested and relatively amicable parting of the ways. The answer is that can help to have legal assistance to avoid unexpected divorce legal issues.

What can be in a prenuptial agreement and when is it in effect?

Couples in California who decide to get married will often want to protect themselves against the possibility of divorce. Frequently, premarital agreements (also referred to as prenuptial agreements) are perceived as something to have when one spouse has a significant portfolio of assets while the other is of more modest means. However, that is not necessarily the case. Many people, regardless of the financial situation, want to be protected in case the marriage does not work out. Since divorce legal issues will center around property division and other financial circumstances, knowing what a premarital agreement can do is imperative, even after the marriage has been completed and the couple is considering a divorce.

Can a child's wishes be considered in a child custody case?

While a California child custody case often focuses on the parents and their goals and desires when it comes to the determination of child custody, the children should not be ignored. It can be difficult to assess how much influence the child should have in deciding where he or she will live, what the visitation rights will be and numerous other issues. However, the law can consider what the child wants. Knowing how this is handled is key to a case.

It's possible to keep the details of your divorce private

Have you ever noticed that celebrities rarely hash out the particulars of their divorce settlements in open court? While they love to bask in the glow of the spotlights for their professional achievements, when it comes to revealing some unflattering truths about their marriages, they prefer to keep the sordid or untidy details under wraps.

How do I go about ending spousal support in California?

For many at the end of a marriage in California, there will be an order that one former spouse pay spousal support to the other. For some, this is not a major issue. For others, however, it is an economic hardship. Regardless of the circumstances, there are times when the spousal support order can and will come to an end. Knowing how to ask the court to end the spousal support order is an important step that will allow both parties to move forward and no longer need to have the same amount of contact with one another if they do not choose to.

Schedule A Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

John T. Chamberlin, Attorney at Law
699 Peters Avenue
Suite C
Pleasanton, CA 94566

Phone: 925-271-5650
Fax: 925-462-0837
Map & Directions

Visa | MasterCard | American Express