John T. ChamberlinAttorney at Law
Initial Consultation - Call Now

Pleasanton Family Law Blog

Get on the same page when the kids start back to school

While this school year will definitely be different than the others, some commonalities remain. One thing that divorced co-parents need to do is to have a united front about school and any extracurricular activities their kids in which their kids will be participating.

For some former spouses, the idea of presenting a united front over anything is still quite challenging. It's for those parents that the below tips may be especially helpful:

  • Review the school rules and go over any changes with the kids. The last thing a parent wants is to have their child get in trouble because they were unaware of new rule changes.
  • Work out your parenting routines. There will likely be substantial changes to any school bus routes this year, and many parents may be choosing to drive their kids to and from school. This will likely require coordination with your child's other parent. Make sure everything is clear so your kids are never stranded at school.
  • Decide on the extracurriculars. Every sport, club and activity comes with its own extra cost and time commitment. If your child spreads themselves too thin, it can cut into household expenses and court-ordered parenting time. Set limits and seek accord on what extracurricular activities the kids can join.

How is intellectual property divided in divorce?

If you are divorcing your spouse, one of the biggest areas of contention besides determining child custody matters is how to split the community property. But if you think that it is difficult to divide tangible property and assets, it's even harder to determine which spouse will retain ownership of any intellectual property (IP) assets the two of you may have.

Even the term is a bit misleading since it covers so much often-nebulous intangible assets like:

  • Copyrights
  • Patents
  • Trade secrets
  • Software

What do I do if I can't afford to pay my child support?

You're a divorced parent who shares custody of the kids with your ex. Their other parent is their primary custodian, and as such, receives monthly support payments from you. Or they did until recently.

Your recent lay-off at work has caused you to get behind on your child support payments. You're hoping to get called back into work but have no idea when that might occur. You never intended to be a deadbeat parent, but right now, the money is just not there.

Why mediating your divorce can leave you in a better place

In the final weeks and months of your marriage, it may have seemed as if the two of you couldn't agree on anything together. Ultimately, this intransigence and refusal to meet each other halfway took its toll on the union between you and led to your marriage's demise.

You may believe that it will not be possible to mediate your divorce. But before you slam the door on a mediated divorce, understand how it could work well to your advantage.

Child custody and the antivax movement

When you and your spouse got married, it seemed like you shared the same views on most of the important issues in life. You were both conservative about money matters but socially liberal and plugged into the happenings in your Pleasanton community.

So you were very surprised when your spouse started espousing "anti-vaxx" sentiments after the two of you had children. Other cracks in the relationship turned into crevasses. Soon, you both decided to throw in the towel on the marriage.

Why you should mediate your custody case

If you are divorcing your child's other parent, you should first consider the value of mediating your custody case. This approach also works well with unmarried parents who are ending their relationship with one another but want to stay firmly involved in their child's life.

The path to a clear resolution of your custody issues may not initially look very clear. That is what typically causes a rush to litigate the matters in court. But after slinging barbs between one another privately and maintaining icy demeanors in court, it can be quite challenging to transition into a functional co-parenting relationship later.

Who pays for the kids' college when parents divorce?

If you are a California parent of college-bound children and you are preparing to divorce, one thing that you need to address is how the children's educational costs will be covered. There is nothing in the California statutes that require parents to cover their children's post-secondary education costs, but if they have the means to pay, many parents choose to cover or contribute to the expenses.

However, failing to address the matter in your divorce negotiations only opens you up to acrimony later. You will either have to hound your ex-spouse to contribute, pay the full freight yourself or tell your kids that they will need to incur debt from student loans to matriculate at an institute of higher learning.

Can you use alternative dispute resolution in your divorce?

So, it's official. You've decided to call it quits on your marriage. Neither of you want to litigate a messy divorce in court, however.

That's commendable, especially if children are involved, as it can be exceedingly difficult to co-parent civilly after dragging each other through the mud in divorce court. Which options does that leave you?

Could having an obese child cause a parent to lose custody?

If you are the parent of an overweight child, you may be concerned for them on several levels. On the one hand, you don't want to see your child get bullied for being overweight, with all the accompanying social stigmas that can bring.

But even more than that, you have serious concerns about your child's health at their present weight. What's more, you see that your child may be developing some very unhealthy eating habits that are definitely contributing to the problem. Also, you suspect that their custodial parent (who also happens to be overweight) might be a big contributing factor to your child's weight problem.

Stuck in a bad marriage? There is a way out

The pursuit of happiness is such a fundamental right that our founding fathers included it in the Declaration of Independence. Every human being has the right to live their best life in search of that often elusive state.

That's why it makes no sense to remain tethered to your spouse in a loveless marriage. All relationships have their ups and downs and nobody is suggesting bailing out at the first rough patch. But you cannot fix an irretrievably broken relationship on your own. And sometimes, even when the other person is also trying to save it, a relationship may just be too damaged to fix.

Schedule A Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

John T. Chamberlin, Attorney at Law
699 Peters Avenue
Suite C
Pleasanton, CA 94566

Phone: 925-271-5650
Fax: 925-462-0837
Map & Directions

Visa | MasterCard | American Express