Initial Consultation – Call Now

A Voice Of Reason During The Turmoil Of  Family Law Disputes

You Are Here:

Woman must pay child support after returning adopted son

On Behalf of | Mar 9, 2012 | Child Support |

Often residents of California may conceptualize child support payments as some sort of agreement issued by the court between divorced couples. Generally, residents may perceive child support as a form of payment issued by the father to the mother of the child. However, this is not always the case in California or elsewhere across the country. One single woman has been ordered by the court to pay child support.

The woman adopted a seven-year-old boy from Russia but in a strange turn of events, sent the child back. She claims that he is volatile and has psychological issues and she no longer wishes to parent him. All of this was detailed in a note that she sent back with her no-longer child.

The adoption agency that the woman adopted and then returned the boy through demanded child support. The agency filed a lawsuit under charges of breach of contract. The woman did not cooperate well with authorities investigating the situation.

This situation is a good example of an unusual child support dispute. Child support payments do not have to be made from a father to a mother. A mother can be issued to pay child support as well. Furthermore, child support payments can be ordered between couples that are not married, or even a person that is not the biological parent of the child in question.

This non-biological, single, female parent breaks all the traditional stereotypes of an individual that may be ordered to pay child support, but this by no means indicates that she will not be held accountable.

Source: UPI, “Woman loses child-support battle,” Mar. 8, 2012


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network

Schedule A Consultation Today

Contact Us

John T. Chamberlin, Attorney at Law
//Long form disclaimer close on escape(contact)