Initial Consultation – Call Now

A Voice Of Reason During The Turmoil Of  Family Law Disputes

You Are Here:

Enforcing A Divorce Decree In California

It is rare for a divorce to be over when both parties sign the divorce papers. In many divorces, child custody, visitation and support arrangements linger on for years after a divorce. But in many others, one of the parties fails to follow the provisions of the divorce decree.

If your ex-spouse is not making support payments faithfully or is not following the provisions of the custody and visitation agreement, work with an experienced lawyer who can help you through the divorce enforcement process.

How Can I Help You?

At John T. Chamberlin, Attorney at Law, I have more than 30 years of experience helping clients in the Pleasanton, California, area in divorce, dissolution of domestic partnerships and other family law matters, including all types of post-divorce issues. With a thorough understanding of the process involved and the options available to you, I am well-positioned to help you determine the best course of action and will remain available to you throughout the process.

Enforcing Your California Divorce

If your ex-spouse is not following the provisions of your divorce decree, the first step is to determine the best course of action. In some divorce and separation cases, it can be as simple as talking with your ex-spouse to see if there can be any change. In most cases, however, by the time someone is calling an attorney, this step has already been taken. In these cases, several options are available, but the first step usually involves petitioning the court.

With financial matters like child support and spousal support, I can help you petition the court for a lien, a wage garnishment or other means of obtaining the payments owed. In child custody and visitation matters, the court will find other means to enforce your order.

Collecting On Your Judgment

Obtaining a judgment from the court is only the first step in enforcing a child support or alimony order. As your lawyer, I will remain committed to your case after this stage. I will follow up with wage assignments, collection agencies, levies and writs of execution, including liens against real property, to make sure you actually collect the support payments you deserve.

Let An Experienced And Knowledgeable Attorney Help You

To discuss divorce enforcement, call me at 925-271-5650 or email me.

Schedule A Consultation Today

Contact Us

John T. Chamberlin, Attorney at Law
//Long form disclaimer close on escape(contact)