John T. ChamberlinAttorney at Law
Initial Consultation - Call Now

Understanding how to request a change to spousal support

This blog recently discussed the circumstances under which spousal or partner support may be awarded spousal or partner support in California. In some circumstances, after spousal or partner support has been awarded, either spouse or partner may need to change the amount of spousal or partner support. A request for a change in spousal or partner support can be made based on a change in circumstances. A significant change in circumstances may warrant a change in spousal or partner support.

A change in circumstances may include when spousal or partner support is no longer needed or when a change in circumstances has led to a decrease in income for the spouse or partner paying spousal or partner support which prevents them from paying the support any longer. If the recipient spouse or partner is not making a good faith effort to be self supporting, it may also be cause to request that a spousal or partner support order be changed.

Spousal or partner support remains due in full until the spousal or partner support is changed so it is important to remain current on payments and promptly seek a change in spousal or partner support if necessary. There are different factors considered in the process of evaluating a request to change spousal or partner support once it has been ordered.

Because spousal or partner support can be an important concern for spouses and partners both paying a receiving spousal or partner support, it is important to understand how spousal or partner support modifications can be requested. It is equally important for former spouses and partners to understand how requests for a change to spousal or partner support are evaluated.

Source: California Courts, "Spousal/Partner Support," Accessed Feb. 14, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

John T. Chamberlin, Attorney at Law
699 Peters Avenue
Suite C
Pleasanton, CA 94566

Phone: 925-271-5650
Fax: 925-462-0837
Map & Directions

Visa | MasterCard | American Express