John T. ChamberlinAttorney at Law
Initial Consultation - Call Now

Child support overview for a noncustodial parent in California

Children often suffer the most in a divorce. While the emotional needs of the child need to be met by the biological parents, it is also important to remember the financial aspect of raising a child. Often, the court awards primary or physical custody to one parent. The non-custodial parent, in most cases, becomes responsible for child support. In the event that a child is born out of wedlock, the court may establish child support to help the child and the custodial parent under California law.

Often, a non-custodial parent may try to avoid paying child support. The California Department of Child Services may help custodial parents in such cases. Delays in child support payments may get a person in major legal trouble. CDCS may help a custodial parent in need to locate the delinquent parent. After locating the non-custodial parent, the court may modify child support payments as well as enforce such payment. The court may also help to establish, change and enforce health insurance coverage. The department can also collect and distribute all spousal support and child support payments under California law.

Non-custodial parents should try to maintain a regular child support payment schedule. In the event of any issues, it may be better for those parents to take the legal route through the court system rather than stop payments entirely.

In the event that the non-custodial father has doubts regarding paternity, he may wish to submit legal documents for a paternity test. The agencies dedicated to child support claims under California law may then help with such testing in order to establish paternity. If the amount of child support claimed is difficult for the non-custodial parent, that parent may find it beneficial to consult a legal professional and go to court for modification of such claims.

Child support services under California law can assist all parents in need. It is important to pay close attention to all relevant legal documents. In the event of any conflict, it is wise to contact the agencies for child support or a legal professional to modify the claim or explain the legal jargon. Payment of child support is a vital parental obligation and not meeting that obligation will have consequences.

Source:, "Information for the Noncustodial Parent," accessed Sept. 12, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

John T. Chamberlin, Attorney at Law
699 Peters Avenue
Suite C
Pleasanton, CA 94566

Phone: 925-271-5650
Fax: 925-462-0837
Map & Directions

Visa | MasterCard | American Express